Dec 7, 2021
As Christmas nears, we’re all on the hunt for present ideas. Are you thinking about buying a folding e-bike as a Christmas gift (or even as a gift to yourself!), or looking for some cycling themed stocking fillers? Look no further! We’ve put together our FLIT Christmas gift guide, with top tips for choosing the right folding ebike, and some great gift ideas for cyclists.
In this guide:
- Our top tips for choosing the right folding ebike (the ultimate Christmas gift!)
- FLIT stocking stuffers (great gift ideas for your cycling pals)
Top tips for choosing a folding ebike: the ultimate Christmas gift!
If you’ve already started your quest to find the right folding ebike, you may be bamboozled by the specification tables and features of the many different options out there.
We’re sharing our top tips for buying a folding ebike to help you with what to look out for!
What is a folding ebike?
If you’re looking for a folding ebike, you probably already know what one is.. but in case you don’t, here’s what we’re talking about! A folding ebike is a battery-powered folding bicycle. They are designed to fold down to a compact size, making them easy to store and travel with, and making them perfect for commuters! These bikes are equipped with a rechargeable battery which powers a motor that boosts your pedal power when you ride.
Why do they make a great gift? Folding ebikes are simply the best way to travel the city, they make every journey fast, flexible and fun.
What will the folding ebike be used for?
This is the most important question to ask, as the answer will decide which features you will want at the top of the list.
Below we go through the top three uses for folding ebikes, summarising the key features to look out for with each.
Getting to work
A folding ebike is a great way to get to the office. It’s fast, fun, and sweat-free! Who would have thought that commuting to work could be a joy?!
Top things to look for:
1. Compact folded size: fits easily onto a train rack, and under the desk in the office
2. Wheel size 20″ max: if the ebike is going to be taken on the train, having wheels max 20″ in size means that you can travel on any train without restrictions.
3. Lightweight: folding ebikes are generally lighter than full-size ebikes, but they can still weigh up to 30kg! Some premium folding ebikes can be as light as 15kg, which makes them much easier to carry or manoeuvre on a busy train station platform.
4. Range: according to Strava, the average UK cycle commute is 9.8 miles – most folding ebikes will comfortably make it there and back with a commute this distance. But if the ebike will be used on longer commutes, you may need to look for one with a longer range.
5. Comfortable ride: check rider and journalist reviews, or try the bike for yourself, to make sure that it’s comfortable.
6. Integrated lights: are a really handy feature to look for, especially for winter commutes.
7. Luggage: it’s worth checking the compatible luggage options, for carrying commuter essentials like laptops, Ipads, notebooks etc.
Getting around town
Whether you’re shopping, going to cafés, and meeting with friends – a folding ebike is the perfect companion.
Top things to look out for:
1. Easy to manoeuvre: look for a folding ebike that can be rolled when folded, so that it can easily be taken into shops and cafés
2. Good luggage options: look for space on the bike to attach luggage and carry shopping, check out the range of compatible accessories
3. Compact folded size: the smaller the folded size, the more flexibility
Leisure and pleasure
For more rural adventures, put your folding ebike in the boot of your car or campervan.
Things to look for:
1. Range: for longer journeys a bigger range is needed
2. Comfort: for more rugged terrain bigger tyres and suspension are a must
3. Power: thinking of climbing steep hills? A powerful rear hub motor or mid-drive motor are best for steep climbs
The FLIT-16 folding ebike
So now you have a better idea of the type of folding ebike you’re looking for, here’s a quick run-down of our folding ebike, the FLIT-16.
If you’re looking for a fast, fun way to travel the city, with the added flexibility of being able to take your ebike on a train, in a campervan, the boot of a car, or even a boat – the FLIT-16 is a great option.
Don’t take it from us – check out what our riders have to say on Trustpilot.
- Lightweight: total weight of 15kg (including the battery) – that’s the same as an average cocker spaniel
- Compact folded size: the same as a carry-on suitcase
- Range: 20-30 miles (30-50km) on a single charge
- Responsive, natural feeling ride: torque sensor + 220W rear hub motor, with 5 assistance levels (choose just how much of a boost you’d like)
- Integrated front and rear lights for superb visibility on night-time rides
- Comfortable: built in suspension
- Choose your colour: available in Blaze Orange, Marengo Grey, and Maya Blue.
You can find the full FLIT-16 specification here.
Delivery in time for Christmas
Order before the 15th December for delivery before Christmas!
We’re currently delivering within a 2 hour radius of Cambridge. Check that we’re delivering to your area here.
If you have any questions, or need help placing your order, drop us an email at [email protected].
FLIT stocking stuffers
If you’re looking for gift ideas for your cycling mad pals you’ve come to the right place. Here are some of our top selling accessories – great as stocking fillers!
CLOSCA FOLDABLE HELMET
Lightweight, compact, super stylish, and most importantly, provide you with superior protection whilst riding.
This iconic helmet folds to half its size for easy storage when you’re not using it.
They come in a range of sizes from small to large, and you have the choice of black or white, with a grey peak.
FOLDYLOCK COMPACT FOLDING BIKE LOCK
The Foldylock Compact is the lightest folding bike lock out there! It comes with a handy mount that can be easily attached to your bike frame.
Rated Sold Secure Silver.
Available in black or orange.
FROST + SEKERS SADDLE BAG & QUICKLOCK SADDLE MOUNT
The Frost + Sekers saddle bag and Quicklock system works seamlessly with any bike with a standard saddle! The saddle mount fits easily onto the saddle rails, and the bag locks into place in seconds.
Perfect for transporting all of your commuter essentials.
FLIT COMMUTER PACK
If you’re looking for a one-stop shop of commuter essentials, our FLIT Commuter Pack has it all (at an amazing price!). A great gift for a FLIT rider.
- FLIT Folding Front & Rear Mudguards
- FLIT Power Pack
- Foldylock Compact Bike Lock
- Frost & Sekers Saddle Bag, and Closca Folding Helmet.
Choose individual colours for each item to suit your taste!
For more gift inspiration, check out our accessories shop here.
We hope our FLIT Christmas Gift Guide helped! If you have any questions about any of our gift ideas, or need help choosing, get in touch at [email protected].
Don’t forget, last orders for delivery before Christmas are on the 15th December.
Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and New Year!